CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 18, 2008

Olaudah Equiano

EQ: For slaves , I dont think the american dream was ever ment to be achieved by african americans. They were born into slavery, which prevented them to achive the dream. I also think the america dream was planned for only the white man to achieve.


"I think the windlass, and tied my feet, while the other flogged me severely. I had never experienced any thing of this kind before, and although not being used to the water, I naturally feared that element the first time I saw it, yet, nevertheless, could I have got over the nettings, I would have jumped over the side, but I could not; and besides, the crew used to watch us very closely who were not chained down to the decks, lest we should leap into the water; and I have seen some of these poor African prisoners most severely cut, for attempting to do so, and hourly whipped for not eating. This indeed was often the case with myself. In a little time after, amongst the poor chained men, I found some of my own nation, which in a small degree gave ease to my mind. I inquired of these what was to be done with us? they gave me to understand, we were to be carried to these white people's country to work for them. I then was a little revived, and thought, if it were no worse than working, my situation was not so desperate; but still I feared I should be put to death, the white people looked and acted, as I thought, in so savage a manner; for I had never seen among any people such instances of brutal cruelty;"


Reflection:
The story makes me very sad. I dont understand how people could treat other people this way. Its crazy, how was slavery eve created in the first place. To read this story make u almost feel there pain because equiano explained what happen with so much detail. I just dont get why this even happen in the first place. Just because someones different doesn't give anyone the right to discriminate against them.




Dear Diary: today hasn’t gotten any better. i miss my family back home so much. I been separated from the ones i love. I have also been beaten and treated will so much disrespect. I dont understand why i was brought here in the first place. I have to work for people who treat me as if i was in hell. Ugh i pray to god that this will end someday and i hope he rescue me from this hell.

0 comments: